For further product information and to buy online visit our Store:
Balmar DC Charging Solutions
Balmar has been serving the Recreational Marine Industry for over 30 years. They supply DC Charging Products and Battery Monitors to help sailors and power boaters charge and monitor their batteries more efficiently. Balmar is recognised throughout the industry for its innovative technology, expert technical service and product reliability.
Balmar has been serving the Marine Industry for over 30 years
Balmar 6-Series Alternators deliver high-output performance in a compact, small-case package and is available in all four common mounting configurations.
While all Balmar’s high-output alternators are designed and recommended for use with their multi-stage voltage regulators, the 6-Series Alternator utilizes Balmar’s Smart Ready® Technology. If battery loads are relatively small and your engine is running frequently, the alternator’s internal regulator may be sufficient to support your electrical needs without external regulation. If your vessel utilizes larger deep-cycle battery banks or the engine’s duty cycle is less frequent (as is the case in most sailing applications), the 6-Series Alternator combines and works seamlessly with Balmar’s ARS-5 Voltage Regulator or Max Charge Voltage Regulator.
Purchased either individually or as a charging kit, 6-Series Alternators can solve a multitude of charging problems at a reasonable price. All kits come with alternator, regulator and two temperature sensors.
6-Series Alternators - Designed for Recreational Applications
- Balmar’s Top Selling Alternator Line
- 70A, 100A and 120A Versions
- Patented Smart Ready® Technology
- Dual Fan Cooling
- High Airflow Frame
- Maximum RPM: 12,000
- USCG Title 33, ISO, SAE and CE Compliant
- Ideal for Modest Charging Upgrades
AT (“Advanced Technology”) Series Alternators from Balmar bring together the latest innovations in alternator design to deliver incredible charging power in a compact, Marine-friendly package.
AT-Series Alternators feature a unique hairpin-wound stator design which uses densely wound square copper wire to generate exceptional output in the smallest possible area. Hairpin-wound stators feature 96 slots – compared to 36 slots in a traditional S-wound stator – allowing the hairpin-wound stator to develop superior electromagnetic energy and efficiency superior to other traditional stator designs.
AT-Series Alternators also feature a dozen 50A capacity, externally mounted avalanche diodes, dual internal fans, and massive heat sinking designed to ensure essential cooling under high load demands. Scaled to fit in most original position installations, AT-Series Alternators are available in all four common mounting styles.
AT-Series Alternators should only be used in Dual Vee or Multi-Groove Serpentine belt configurations. Balmar’s growing range of AltMount Serpentine Pulley Conversion Kits support all AT-Series Alternators.
AT-Series Alternators - Designed for Recreational Applications
- 165A or 200A in a Small Case Package
- Up to 125A at Idle Speeds
- 25% More Efficient
- Dual Fan Cooling
- High Airflow Frame
- Maximum RPM: 10,000
- Ideal for Large Battery Banks
High output alternators are an important part of your system for battery care, but they are definitely not the only part. Without proper voltage regulation, battery charging can be a slow process, or even worse, an ideal recipe for early battery failure.
All commercial alternators come with an internal rectifier/regulator circuit that:
(1) Converts AC current generated by the alternator to DC current, and (2) Fixes the voltage output to a static level – typically 14.6 volts.
There are several deficiencies with internal regulators:
(1) Not all battery technologies want to receive 14.6 volts. (2) All battery types have an optimal charging “profile”, which means they want different voltages and currents at different stages of their charging cycle, as well as variations when battery temperatures change. (3) Once fully charged, batteries can overheat if they are supplied with continuous current at a fixed charge voltage.
Balmar’s patented Max Charge and ARS-5 Voltage Regulators provide a dynamic method for monitoring battery condition and apply the correct level of alternator control (voltage and current) to ensure that your batteries are charged quickly and safely.
- 5 Selectable Programs for Marine Batteries
- 9 Amp Maximum Field Current
- Appropriate for 6-Series Alternators (150A and below)
- Single Engine, Single Alternator Applications Only
- All the Same Programming Functions as the MC-614